Total preparation time - 30 minutes, Cooking time 8 hrs, in a Slow Cooker on Low.
- 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 lbs. Prairie Grass Meats Beef Roast
- 1- 3" cinnamon stick, broken in pieces
- 1t Mixed Pickling Spices
- 4 T olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Cup dry red wine
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- (1) 14 oz Can Stewed Tomatoes
- (1) 15 oz Can Tomato Sauce (Homemade if available)
- 1/2 to 1 Cup Dehydrated or sun dried tomatoes
- 1/2 to 1 Cup Dehydrated Zuccini or fresh, sliced
- 4 Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 Cup Kalamata olives, pitted whole
- 1/4 Cup Water
- sea salt and pepper to taste
Grind Pickling Spices and cinnamon in a coffee grinder or use a mortar and pestal. Rub on meat or add to the sauce.
Heat oil in pan and brown roast on all sides, 10 to 15 minutes and then transfer the roast to the slow cooker.
Saute the onions and garlic in the pan the roast was browned in until slightly brown.
Add celery and carrots and saute for 5 additional minutes. Add red wine and reduce liquid by 1/3 volume, about 10 minutes.
Add tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, zuccini and tomatoes to slow cooker.
Pour sauteed vegetables and wine reduction over beef roast in slow cooker and add mushroom slices and olives.
Add 1/4 Cup water, if needed. Cover and slow cook for 7 to 8 hours or until meat pulls apart with a fork.
Wonderful served with polenta, brown rice, or mashed potatoes
Makes wonderful leftovers!